Egg calcification issue

beesknees

Chahoua Egg
Hi there I have a pair of pine islands and the female laid 3 clutches of duds this season.

Most of her eggs also have a shell that doesnt seem to be calcified. Is this due to lack of calcium and D3?

The male and female are doing well together and each eat about 1 dozen crickets once a week dusted with calcium and D3. They also eat repashy that is spiked with calcium. The only issue I can think of is the lack of UVB. I have a UVB 5.0 but they are always hiding, never seem to bask. They are estimated to be two years old.

would love to hear your thoughts if you’ve experienced the same!

Canvas_geckos

Chahoua Hatchling
Hi there I have a pair of pine islands and the female laid 3 clutches of duds this season.

Most of her eggs also have a shell that doesnt seem to be calcified. Is this due to lack of calcium and D3?

The male and female are doing well together and each eat about 1 dozen crickets once a week dusted with calcium and D3. They also eat repashy that is spiked with calcium. The only issue I can think of is the lack of UVB. I have a UVB 5.0 but they are always hiding, never seem to bask. They are estimated to be two years old.

would love to hear your thoughts if you’ve experienced the same!

have you checked her calcium sacs?

MelissaSR

Moderator & mad scientist
Staff member
I do agree with Canvas geckos, your female is a bit young for breeding. This species, it is recommended to allow females to reach 3 years of age, to ensure the are done growing. This way their body uses the calcium for growth purposes, not for egg laying. I am glad to hear you are offering UVB as with your female being bred younger, she likely would have done very poorly without it, and they are getting it even without basking, they can still receive it while being shaded. Remember you can get sunburn even on a cloudy day, they are still getting UVB but in small does, and likely when you're not looking.

I would recommend increasing the amount of crickets youre feeding. This species relies more on insects than some of the other popular NC gecko species. I usually feed around 15-20 crickets in a single feeding to a pair of these guys. I also recommend insects 2-3x a week, rather than once a week. Personally I offer insects to mine 3x a week, always dusted with a calcium.