What should a terrarium for a chahoua look like?

Jeffrey N.

Chahoua Egg
I've been doing a lot of thinking and research and I've decided that I would like a Chahoua. Don't really care if he is a pine isle or mainland although a very good breeder assured me that she is 98% sure her livestock is Pine isle but prefers to classify them as mixed. I'm quite confident on my knowledge about husbandry, UVB light, and necessary light source for good plant growth. However, most of the enclosures I've seen on the internet are specifically targeted at cresties. I know cresties are very similar to chewies but u have to take into account chewies' larger size and mass. Can anyone share a picture of their chahoua's terrarium and offer advice about the best hardscape (decorations, plants) for chewies? It would be deeply appreciated.
BTW, I'm planning on buying a 18×18×24 exo terra for a single chahoua.

MelissaSR

Moderator & mad scientist
Staff member
Honestly, cork bark and branches. Plants are less important with this species since they inhabit tree hallows in the wild. So cork bark flats, rounds, and cross branches work best for them. Chahouas also do better with additional heat, you will often find them basking under a heat source. UVB is more important for females since they lay heavily calcified eggs, so I personally offer it to all of my females, paired up or not.

Jeffrey N.

Chahoua Egg
Thanks. I was fearful of plants cuz of the size of pine isle chewies, but, I found a plant bundle that contains sturdy plants. I'm definitely with u on the cross branches and cork bark. Would they like jungle vines?