PI and GT Chahouas

TreeHuggerGeckos

Chahoua Egg
Hello,

I am very new to keeping chahouas and I am just looking to clear up some misconceptions that I might have about the species.

What exactly is the difference between mainland and PI chahouas? Some say the PI has a longer snout and smaller eyes. Others say you can tell them apart by their size. I have also noticed that there is a significant price difference between mainland and PI chahouas. And PI chahouas seem to be more common in the trade. Are these things true?

Secondly, how often are these two locales crossed with one another in the hobby? I imagine that introducing extra genetic diversity into either of the populations could be a good thing and that you may, for example, get favorable traits from both locales in the same animal. Is it safe to attempt something like this? Has it ever been attempted before?

Where does the Jalu fit into all of this?

What size tank is suitable for a pair of chahoua to live in?

Help with any of these questions is greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Canvas_geckos

Chahoua Hatchling
Hi there!
I keep both GT & PI, and aside from weight/size, there are no other distinguishing physical differences in the locales. My GT tend to max out their weights around 55-60g tops, while my PI tend to be almost double that! This isn’t true in EVERY case, as I do have several PI that are in the lower weight range despite being healthy. Just like people, they are all individuals and can’t be lumped into one kind of weight category!

I have GT that are pastels, white collars, bright patterns. I have PI that don’t have white collars, and plain patterns. GT don’t have buggier eyes and PI don’t have longer snouts. Those are all poorly misused myths that people who aren’t familiar with the species, continue to perpetuate, to either sway the market in favor of one locale or are just uninformed.

mid you read through this forum, there are some articles posted by Andrea that discuss Jalu.

Canvas_geckos

Chahoua Hatchling
Also- yes the two locales can be interbred and I’m sure it has happened through the years. These aren’t two genetically separate species— they are just different locales that are found on different islands within New Caledonia. Mixing the two locales won’t produce a “hybrid”, because it is the same species. Does that make sense?