Egg incubation time

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
We know there is somewhat of a correlation between incubation temperature and duration, but has anyone else noticed a correlation between egg size when laid and incubation duration? Am I the only one that weighs my eggs when they are laid?

Dragonborn Exotics (Ryan)

Chahoua Hatchling
I am still new to chahoua breeding. I hatched out my first 2 babies last May. They were incubated for around 100 days at fluctuating room temps from 68-81 degrees. This seems to be faster than most of the incubation times I have read from other breeders. I have 2 eggs incubating right now in similar conditions and they are big and dark when candled. Wouldn't be surprised if they hatched around that 100 day mark again. I will update when and if they hatch.

What is everyone's average incubation time?

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
Last year, the one chahoua baby that hatched out strong was from a 4.8g egg that hatched at 105 days. This year I have a hatchling from a 5.1g egg that hatched at 108 days. I have two eggs that were laid at 6.5g and 6.7g that are still cooking at 117 days and a 4.3g egg thats looking extremely round and ready to burst at 96 days. Im keeping a spreadsheet to track all of this. My incubation temps have been ~77* with minimal variation.

Chahoua Hatchling
Very interesting observation. So your theory is, the larger the egg, the longer it will take to incubate. That actually makes sense in a way. If there is more space inside of the egg, one could assume that it would take the baby longer to develop to fill up that space.

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
Its just a guess, but its definitely true of leachie eggs. There are many factors including temperature that determine incubation time but i'd like to get a better idea of how it all interacts together.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
Phil Tremper once told me that "...if your eggs are taking longer than 90 days to incubate, you're asking for trouble." For the first few years I had chewies, I was just incubating them at room temp and waiting half a year.

After this conversation, I bought an incubator and most of mine hatch in 80-90 days. However, I don't really weigh the eggs, so I'm probably not much help!

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
Phil Tremper once told me that "...if your eggs are taking longer than 90 days to incubate, you're asking for trouble." For the first few years I had chewies, I was just incubating them at room temp and waiting half a year.

After this conversation, I bought an incubator and most of mine hatch in 80-90 days. However, I don't really weigh the eggs, so I'm probably not much help!
What are your temps in the incubator? I havent hatched very many but I have used in incubator for all and have still been between 105 at my shortest and 126 at my longest so far.

TroysGeckos

Chahoua Hatchling
Initially I incubated my eggs in a hovabator ~75 degrees, however, became concerned about the machine's reliability and switched to incubating them at room temperature at the top of one of my shelves. I suspect the temperature usually ranges from 74 - 76 degrees and my geckos hatch generally hatch in 90 - 120 days.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
Why did he think much longer was asking for trouble? Did he find their hatching rate decreased?

As the eggs age, they tend to take on water and get larger, and I think there is a fine balance between temps, time, humidity and development. When the eggs are laid, they're obviously fairly hard. As time goes on, they soak up humidity and moisture from the environment, expand, the shells soften, and then when the time comes, it's easier for the gecko to breach the interior lining and hatch. The more that time goes on, generally, the more moisture eggs take on and at least in my experience, sometimes they can fail before the embryo is fully mature.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
Whelp, the first one in that 118 day clutch just hatched. 4.2g! Im gonna take it as a sign that both this one and my first baby of the year hatched on GOT nights. We have a big to do about it so maybe they know I love those freaking dragons.

PICS! Maybe kick off a new thread for 2019 hatchlings?!

ET Geckos

Chahoua Egg
As the eggs age, they tend to take on water and get larger, and I think there is a fine balance between temps, time, humidity and development. When the eggs are laid, they're obviously fairly hard. As time goes on, they soak up humidity and moisture from the environment, expand, the shells soften, and then when the time comes, it's easier for the gecko to breach the interior lining and hatch. The more that time goes on, generally, the more moisture eggs take on and at least in my experience, sometimes they can fail before the embryo is fully mature.

I think it is also that given a longer period of time, more things could potentially go wrong. Not that they WILL go wrong, but a temperature spike or power outage or who knows what can cause them to fail.

I haven't had the water issue, but the incubating material I use is never soaking wet either so I never have a problem with eggs expanding that shouldn't.

Chahoua Hatchling
I think it is also that given a longer period of time, more things could potentially go wrong. Not that they WILL go wrong, but a temperature spike or power outage or who knows what can cause them to fail.

I haven't had the water issue, but the incubating material I use is never soaking wet either so I never have a problem with eggs expanding that shouldn't.
How much of a temperature spike are you talking about? Like something into the high 80s or low 90s? Or a temperature swing from night to day? My gecko room can go from 69-81 during the day after the heat is turned on. Do you think that much of a swing is potentially threatening to the developing egg or even a baby that is close to hatching?

ET Geckos

Chahoua Egg
How much of a temperature spike are you talking about? Like something into the high 80s or low 90s? Or a temperature swing from night to day? My gecko room can go from 69-81 during the day after the heat is turned on. Do you think that much of a swing is potentially threatening to the developing egg or even a baby that is close to hatching?

I think as long as it is gradual enough, you are fine. It's when the temps really jump and hit over 85+ you'll have some issues. Our old apartment used to get insanely hot (90s) and there was nothing we could do about it. That resulted in eggs failing (cresteds moreso than chahoua). The more consistent temps, the better though.

MelissaSR

Moderator & mad scientist
Staff member

A simple styrofoam cooler would help with that also. It would make for the temp change even more gradual, the nightly lows would be warmer, and the daily highs would be a bit cooler. Adding a phase 22 in there would also help even it out. But it’s natural for a temperature gradient. Right now I have my crested eggs out of the incubator because I want the chahoua eggs warmer, we keep our house at 68 but with it warming up it’s been 68-71 which is still safe. Once the gecko room warms up more chahoua eggs will be evicted from the incubator (we keep the house 74-75 in the summer) and they will head up to the gecko room that stays around 74-77 in the summer. Our wiring in this house sucks, can’t really run any more incubators than I already do :/