NEW PAPER - PINE ISLAND LOCALITY

Andrea IGA

Chahoua Hatchling
Here a new study on record data for 4 species of Diplodactylidae.

Obviously, Mniarogekko chahoua are the main interest. Since 2012 the status of the species was concerned. Now, after Exoterra report from 2013, another survey with GPS data show the presence f this species on Pine Island, with questions about eventual spread on other satellites islets around PI.

Have fun!

Attachments

• New_distribution_records four_species_of_giant_geckos_occur_in_syntopy_on_Ile des_Pins_New_Cal...pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
OK I finally got around to reading this... @Andrea IGA thank you for sharing. I so appreciate you keeping us abreast of the field developments.

Lots of interesting things to digest in this paper... one of the most interesting is that perhaps Rhacodactylus trachycephalus is more common and less endangered than we thought.

Some other interesting points:
  • Chahoua were thought to mostly inhabit the undisturbed, deeper forests but were found in more urban areas, closer to tourist destinations.
  • Authors note that there are likely other populations of chahoua on Ile des Pines but would need more surveying to confirm
  • Chahoua were found 8-10 meters high in trees and on vines
  • The one chahoua that is photographed is tailless. Of course, it could be a recent tail loss, but it also makes me wonder about the theory that only PI regrow tails. This one did not..?

Andrea IGA

Chahoua Hatchling
Good question.
As far as I know, every wc animals from PI had/have no tail, I remember Tracy saying that a PI from her had an incomplete autotomy, but the portion of the tail, seemed to regrow back.
I don't have a conclusion on this.. o_O