PI or Mainland, Does It Really Matter Anymore?

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
It's been a few years since I looked at it, but I thought:

"Mainland" chahoua = Mniarogekko jalu

"Pine Island" chahoua = Mniarogekko chahoua

What I am reading above seems to indicate the existence of both species in both locations, meaning that there could actually be two different types of these geckos on both Grand Terre and the Isle de Pines.

...am I understanding that correctly?

Andrea IGA

Chahoua Hatchling
It's been a few years since I looked at it, but I thought:

"Mainland" chahoua = Mniarogekko jalu

"Pine Island" chahoua = Mniarogekko chahoua

What I am reading above seems to indicate the existence of both species in both locations, meaning that there could actually be two different types of these geckos on both Grand Terre and the Isle de Pines.

...am I understanding that correctly?

- GT / BELEP : M.chahoua different populations , and M.jalu far north . No hybrids records from Bauer.

- PI : Mniarogekko sp. / chahoua , very similar to jalu but with different charateristics , so possible undescribed new sp/ssp.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
- GT / BELEP : M.chahoua different populations , and M.jalu far north . No hybrids records from Bauer.

- PI : Mniarogekko sp. / chahoua , very similar to jalu but with different charateristics , so possible undescribed new sp/ssp.

So Grand Terre then has both the M. Chahoua and M. Jalu species present, whereas the Isle de Pines may have only M. jalu OR a completely new species?

So this indicates that everyone who has been saying "Mniarogekko Chahoua" has animals that come from Grand Terre? Because I feel like I've seen M. Chahoua primarily associated with PI animals.

I'm confused 🤓

Andrea IGA

Chahoua Hatchling
So Grand Terre then has both the M. Chahoua and M. Jalu species present, whereas the Isle de Pines may have only M. jalu OR a completely new species?

So this indicates that everyone who has been saying "Mniarogekko Chahoua" has animals that come from Grand Terre? Because I feel like I've seen M. Chahoua primarily associated with PI animals.

I'm confused 🤓

So, the REAL first animals came from GT , with traking on locales : LaFoa,Sarramea,Mt.Mou (central-north). M.jalu , never had is own trak locality, because of the recent classification (Bauer et.al 2012), so we will never know IF and HOW MANY M.jalu we have in hobby, even IF hybrids occours, because in nature NEVER appeared to exist.

Mniarogekko sp.Pine Island ecotype, can be simply M.chahoua or M.jalu or completely different undescribed spieces ... until DNA tests will be done, we are in a "grey zone" based only on fenotypic aspetcs.

Very few animals came from PI actually.. and the few were imported directly to USA, because PDV and Frank collected them.

better now Mike ? XD ahah

Pinraiser

Chahoua Egg
I have four chahouas from "European lines", i. e. noone really tracked the background and usually they are sold as GT by other breeders and I bought them as such. I am really hesitant to call them GT though, this is why I sell their offspring with the side information: background unknown / probably mixes. They have traits from both GT and PI and to me only one of the males looks pure regarding the phenotype.

Andrea IGA

Chahoua Hatchling
I have four chahouas from "European lines", i. e. noone really tracked the background and usually they are sold as GT by other breeders and I bought them as such. I am really hesitant to call them GT though, this is why I sell them with the side information: background unknown / probably mixes. They have traits from both GT and PI and to me only one of the males looks pure regarding the phenotype.

Only a "external looking" will never be able to tell if an animal is a PI or GT or M.jalu. This is the actual final point of the topic...

How can you tell if this is a PI or GT for example???

Attachments

• 40698950711_e2c4ba4cec_h.jpg
    40698950711_e2c4ba4cec_h.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 9

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
I have four chahouas from "European lines", i. e. noone really tracked the background and usually they are sold as GT by other breeders and I bought them as such. I am really hesitant to call them GT though, this is why I sell their offspring with the side information: background unknown / probably mixes. They have traits from both GT and PI and to me only one of the males looks pure regarding the phenotype.

Just out of curiosity, can you share some pictures?

Pinraiser

Chahoua Egg
Just out of curiosity, can you share some pictures?

Of course, here you are 😊
First two pictures are the parents of the female on the last two pictures. The mainly green male in the middle is the one I would maybe consider pure GT. He is below 45 gr while the top male is 60, the female is 50 and the offspring is 60 gr. too.

Attachments

• B2C134D2-7660-4389-915B-C253C3D5EFA9.jpeg
    B2C134D2-7660-4389-915B-C253C3D5EFA9.jpeg
    848.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 320DF836-309E-4010-AD38-7A9C6C430191.jpeg
    320DF836-309E-4010-AD38-7A9C6C430191.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 5A531DAA-4B6C-4434-87C7-DB652F42D284.jpeg
    5A531DAA-4B6C-4434-87C7-DB652F42D284.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 4E9E9943-CA96-41E0-813A-50C935A93799.jpeg
    4E9E9943-CA96-41E0-813A-50C935A93799.jpeg