Pricing and Value Related to Chahoua

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
Hi All,

When I got into the species in 2009, GTs were ~$250 and white collar PIs were ~$350. Some days, I wish that was still the case! Now it's not uncommon to see high white animals with price tags in the realm of many thousand dollars. As the saying goes, "What's it worth? What someone else is willing to pay for it." But there still feels like a lot of gray area.

I recently posted two high white animals on facebook and received a number of inquiries about their cost, or what I would charge if I decided to sell them. Each season, I generally get a flurry of these messages and the reactions to my responses are always interesting. I would say that looking back, prices steadily rose from like 2013 - 2016, and seem to have been relatively stable over the last few years. But prices can still be high for high end animals. When I price unsexable PI animals, I have a baseline that is something like:

$500 - $550: No white, not seeing much base color
$550 - $700: No white, some nice base color coming through
$700 - $800: No white, strong base color
$900 - $1,100: "White wings" or some white pattern around the neck and base of tail with decent base color
$1,350 - $1,550: "White collar" with some tail white and nice base color
$1,750 - $2,250: "White collar with side white" Solid white collar with some side white, white on the tail and nice base color
$2,500 - $3,500: "High white" Solid white collar, chunks of side white, white on the tail, nice base color
$4,000+: "Super High White" Large, extended solid white collar, large chunks of side white, white on the tail, nice base color, good pattern, good base color

Prices can vary from the above based on lineage, male or female, size or animals that exhibit extreme traits (super high white, super saturated color, etc).

However, I think that moving into high white/super high white sexable animals is a bit of a different ballgame and that very much becomes "What does someone want to sell that animal for?" If you consider that a high white female can have even just four "white collar with side white" babies in a year, that can be $8k in itself, in one season. The prices only go up when you include more offspring or babies with more white. So offers of $5k, $7k or $9k suddenly don't make much sense if you're looking to keep and breed this species over time. This logic applied to males can be even more mind boggling. A nice high white male could be studded to several females, resulting in numerous high white offspring. How do you quantify the real worth of an animal like that?

On the flip side, that is some serious cash and you start to hit a market where very few people can pay prices over $3k or so. But still, is it really worth selling high end animals for that much? If you look at the numbers... not really. I am still not able to meet demand with the number of requests I get for geckos, but as white becomes more common, I think prices will come down a bit. But even if we got back to selling them for $400 - $600/each, this is still a fun hobby that I'll stick around for.

I'd love to hear others' perspectives on pricing and value.

MelissaSR

Moderator & mad scientist
Staff member
So can I ask with your general outline, you say unsexed but my question is, what weight? I ask this because it can take a while as you know for color to set in on these guys. So would you say this general guideline you use for yourself pertain to animals at 8-10g, or more for 10-15g animals?

My pricing isnt too far off from yours, but I would say white wing/broken collar is a better way to describe "tier 4" for me. "Tier 5" for me would be more broken collar/full white collar. I know some people get their feathers in a ruffle when you call an animal without a perfect solid collar a white collar lol, but I don't like the term partial collar for them, that makes me think of wings, like a clear full break in the pattern.

But yeah I started around 2010 (when you peer pressured me to get one lol), I got my first white collar for 250 locally. I remember when I first started selling them (2013) non colorful ones were around 350-400, white collars went for around 600 depending on how nice they were. I took a season off from breeding them, and when I came back I was floored at increase as people were selling them for $300+ what I had intended on pricing my white collars at. Needless to say I had to relearn the market just from taking a season off! That happened in 2016 I believe

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
So can I ask with your general outline, you say unsexed but my question is, what weight? I ask this because it can take a while as you know for color to set in on these guys. So would you say this general guideline you use for yourself pertain to animals at 8-10g, or more for 10-15g animals?

I would say I use this for all animals that aren't sexable, so like 6-18g or so? There will be some changes, but until an animal is sexable, I usually just stick to the same price.

My pricing isnt too far off from yours, but I would say white wing/broken collar is a better way to describe "tier 4" for me. "Tier 5" for me would be more broken collar/full white collar. I know some people get their feathers in a ruffle when you call an animal without a perfect solid collar a white collar lol, but I don't like the term partial collar for them, that makes me think of wings, like a clear full break in the pattern.

But yeah I started around 2010 (when you peer pressured me to get one lol), I got my first white collar for 250 locally. I remember when I first started selling them (2013) non colorful ones were around 350-400, white collars went for around 600 depending on how nice they were. I took a season off from breeding them, and when I came back I was floored at increase as people were selling them for $300+ what I had intended on pricing my white collars at. Needless to say I had to relearn the market just from taking a season off! That happened in 2016 I believe

Glad to have you in on the addiction! :devilish:

Sarah_RainyDay

Chahoua Egg
How would you value ready to breed females and males with this formula? I have a RTB white collar female from great lineage, and considering how FB has cracked down it's far harder to get a good idea of current market values, particularly for grown animals that have time invested into rearing them and are ready to lay eggs/mate. Trying to price adults is also particularly hard because a lot of those sales happen in PMs, so it's really hard to get a fair and accurate sense of current value.

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
I think if I were selling RTB animals, I would price them at what they could produce in a year. I may price some animals higher than others because, personally, most babies that I produce I would prefer to keep until I can see how their color develops. I hold A LOT of my animals back because I have project goals and I don't want sellers remorse. So I price at what I would be happy to let animals go at, and then if they dont sell as babies I get to see how they turn out and be absolutely sure I got to keep the best ones. About half my babies I don't even consider listing because i don't want to let them go.

Andrea IGA

Chahoua Hatchling
Well,

I think that starting from the "not so easy to produce", this spieces has alreay a higher sense of precious , that a breeder/hobbist can translate into : more money value.

Then, lineages, true locality data, and straight or not line of blood, makes different points of view. It's funny to see how people put a Nuu Ana R.leachianus with a Ponidimie, just to make colourfull big animals... while mixing/not beeing sure about M.chahoua locality is a complete shame. I've never understand why.. (I think,as natural scientist, that a Poin x NuuAna is food for chahoua laying egges females ;) ).

colours and patterns, we can select very hardly some traits outside of White .. Starting from old wilds animals, there are lineages of "pastelish" , redish and so on.. but who has ever proved to make high red animals?? (I had some straight selection of high red troeger that never seemed to improved red in a decent way, only sporadically,so no proves). In this case an animal needs to be valued in a personal way ( I love my pastel animal, so if I sell, I want to reach a money back that I consider OK..in the best way I can reach another person who likes my pastel, but a Dark lover, can easly think "what's that ugly high priced gecko??)

White Collar : this is the real thing that makes mad people with this spieces... but also here, too personal.. I love WC animals, but some people do not, so why a WC RTB female would be priced 3000/4000? ... what happened to the 350 valued animals of 2016 that were not so different to some of today animals? nothing... only the amount of people captured by this trend.. WC are priced,WC are cool,WC are money makers and back..

I love this spieces more than all other Gekkota members, I try everydays to know more of their natural hystory, reading,talking,watching over what the majority of people think (..ref. to the PI-GT old debate that has no prove...) , so.. I think yes, a good start point of value is OK, but in the last 2 years the madness is grew in a manner that is silly in some case, if we think about the semplicity of base caging/husbandry, so money required to grow and feed them.

that's my opinion :)