Best Caging Options for Raising Hatchlings

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
I know many of you are already in the midst of baby-palooza this season, but I'm not quite yet. I've been looking at my oldest pair of eggs realizing that pretty soon, they'll hopefully be actual babies. That made me wonder how everyone houses and raises their baby geckos.

I've used a few different things over the years: rack systems, tubs, kritter keepers, tanks, etc. I had a hard time managing humidity in the rack system and ended up moving away from that. I've generally had the most luck with Kritter Keeps and then a longer term transition to tanks. Something like:

<10grams: medium Kritter Keeper
10-20 grams: large Kritter Keeper
20 grams+: 10 gallon vivarium tank
Adulthood and ready for breeding season: Pairs get moved into 29 gallon "tall" vivariums

How about everyone else?

Gray Sky Exotics

Chahoua Hatchling
I house my clutchmates together until they are around 25-30g, then I seperate them to their own tub. I usually upgrade their tub size based on how big they look compared to their mobility/hunting area around all their decor (plants, vines & corkbark).

Pinraiser

Chahoua Egg
I house my hatchlings separately in medium size critter keepers with some cork bark and decoration until they are 8 gr - then they move to Exo Terra Small High Terrariums (12 x 12 x 18)

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
I house my hatchlings separately in medium size critter keepers with some cork bark and decoration until they are 8 gr - then they move to Exo Terra Small High Terrariums (12 x 12 x 18)

Cool! What substrate do you use in the small Exo-Terras, out of curiosity?

Darnell05

Chahoua Egg
I used critter keepers for my time breeding chahoua, but im looking for a more seamless process for periods where I have a greater number of hatchlings. A rack system comes to mind and ultimately I may go that route.

Darnell05

Chahoua Egg
I know many of you are already in the midst of baby-palooza this season, but I'm not quite yet. I've been looking at my oldest pair of eggs realizing that pretty soon, they'll hopefully be actual babies. That made me wonder how everyone houses and raises their baby geckos.

I've used a few different things over the years: rack systems, tubs, kritter keepers, tanks, etc. I had a hard time managing humidity in the rack system and ended up moving away from that. I've generally had the most luck with Kritter Keeps and then a longer term transition to tanks. Something like:

<10grams: medium Kritter Keeper
10-20 grams: large Kritter Keeper
20 grams+: 10 gallon vivarium tank
Adulthood and ready for breeding season: Pairs get moved into 29 gallon "tall" vivariums

How about everyone else?

What type of rack were you using? What did you attribute to the humidity issue?

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
What type of rack were you using? What did you attribute to the humidity issue?

I don't recall the name exactly, but I'll have to take a picture. Even with a quick spray, the bins get such limited ventilation that the paper towels and egg crate were molding really quickly. It turned into a goopy mess in no time at all.

I've been keeping my midget leachianus in one of these racks/bins and it's working ok, but I am having to remove paper towels regularly and crack the bin slightly so that it gets enough air flow.

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
I don't recall the name exactly, but I'll have to take a picture. Even with a quick spray, the bins get such limited ventilation that the paper towels and egg crate were molding really quickly. It turned into a goopy mess in no time at all.

I've been keeping my midget leachianus in one of these racks/bins and it's working ok, but I am having to remove paper towels regularly and crack the bin slightly so that it gets enough air flow.

You're also in georgia, right? Its been humid as heck there when ive visited, I imagine that contributes to your humidity issues. Racks are the only way I can keep humidity high enough for babies in the desert.