DNA tested Jalu...how much truth behind it?

MelissaSR

Moderator & mad scientist
Staff member
Ok so I have had a burning question for a while, and a friend reminded me and sparked my question again. How do we know the “dna tested” jalu is a true jalu? Seeing some posts lately it really brings that question up, and their differences. As we had discussed before what we have for info is an old museum sample. Is there any evidence out there that it had been DNA sequencing done on it? I do know all of the species done so far, none of which are New Caledonia species. So there is such a thing as partial DNA, however very few species have even had this done.

Dr. Wiseman said,
“Unfortunately, the technology is not quite so simple in herps, as the DNA portions of the chromosomes that determine the sex are not as easily identified as they are in avian species. To determine the DNA sequencing of herps would require some sort of grant or funding in order to study the chromosomes and genes in order to identify the portions involved with determining sex.

At this time, the only herps that can be sexed by DNA analysis are green iguanas (Iguana iguana) and Komodo dragons (Varanus komodoensis), according to an employee at Zoogen, a well-known company that performs DNA sexing of many avian species.

Until DNA sexing becomes commercially available for the reptile species, we will need to rely on other methods of sexing herps.”

So since we know NC isn’t keen on us going out and doing testing on them, we don’t have blood samples from what would be considered a control group. For those who don’t know what a control is, it is the known factor. Since in captivity we can’t even prove the locales of our chahouas, we can’t dismiss the fact they could potentially be hybrids themselves between jalu and chahoua. So using captive animals without known harvest locations, and testing them against the wild population, we have no true control group.

So basically I am asking of those people who have DNA tested their animals, can you please shed more light on the subject for us. Have you had partial DNA tests done on multiple animals? Have you cross referenced them to hybrids? Have you dna tested “PI” and “GT”? Have you cross referenced it with blood samples from other possible jalu, because just a couple of animals doesn’t make an adequate study group size. Lastly, do you have the analysis from the lab? Remember just saying so and so did it isn’t going to fly in a community of scientists.

Not trying to disprove anyone, having a science background myself these are questions I would love to see answers to, and hopefully better understand the difference between them. I know as a whole this info would greatly help the community.

TracyPD

Chahoua Egg
Great question.

I've recently asked someone claiming DNA testing, and they told me their several weeks old m. Jalu was tested by Aaron Bauer. I asked for documentation. None has been provided as of yet, but I will update if/when it is.
Scientists are not public servants and I find it unlikely that Bauer would waste university resources on testing an animal in someone's captive bred private collection. I definitely could be wrong though, I just don't see it happening.

As far as I was aware, there isn't a big enough control group of m. Chahoua or m. Jalu to sequence?

Andrea IGA

Chahoua Hatchling
DNA tests can be done using mitocondrial or nuclear tests.

Nuclear test is very high priced, but with a simple mitocondrial you can put the described M.jalu DNA of 2012 A.Bauer et al. Samples and your animals in confront, If they are equal, so it's M.jalu . We can not do that for PI, because no M.chahoua PI samples are present in museum.

Anyway DNA tests if done, I think must be showed at the time anyone sells those animals because of the high concern about this genus Mniarogekko.

...(Different is for some smugglers who have GPS data with pics of "just" collected animals right on NC)...

:) Hope I helped.

TracyPD

Chahoua Egg
...(Different is for some smugglers who have GPS data with pics of "just" collected animals right on NC)...

:) Hope I helped.
I find it more likely that gps data is being used and smugglers are classifying the animals as "dna" tested in many cases.
I have yet to see any accompanying paperwork supporting lab tested species confirmation. Keyword being yet.

Andrea IGA

Chahoua Hatchling
Yes, you are right Tracy! Unfortunately, after GPS data wich show the (I wish) place of finding, if is Ile Art, no doubt about M.jalu instead of a M.chahoua.. But it s so complex Like all the things about Mniarogekko sp.

After all Bauer said to me that some tests have been done... Mitocondrial tests requires few resources and money. So yes, just for curiosity is possible..

I really wish to complete all the papers and permits and stuff to do Italiangekko Expedition to NC and maybe do some clear tests on wild populations of Mniarogekko sp. With other spieces..

TracyPD

Chahoua Egg
I really wish to complete all the papers and permits and stuff to do Italiangekko Expedition to NC and maybe do some clear tests on wild populations of Mniarogekko sp. With other spieces..
This would be amazing! Unfortunately NC isn't too keen on letting people do this. We need soooo much more info in order to do full sequencing that we just don't have. The money and resources will be extremely taxing even if NC does allow this to happen.

Andrea IGA

Chahoua Hatchling
Yes.. Starting from keeping a constant and stable contact with scientists overthere , to fix all the payments for Any kind of permits and stuff and so on..

Wish me luck people!