Diet comparisons

Canvas_geckos

Chahoua Hatchling
I was trying to find Mixhael’s original post of homemade vs premade diets but I couldn’t find it. Around the end of March this year, I started adding homemade diet into the food rotation using the Chahoua Chamber diet posted on their Facebook page (thank you, Michael!). The first two feeding responses were terrible—nobody ate it. After discussion with a couple of other breeders who use a similar recipe, there were some ingredient modifications and different fruits instead of the baby food. The tweaked diet resulted in better feeding responses, with at least 50% of the cups mostly eaten.
Now my diet rotation includes homemade diet and Chewie fettucini mixed with Pangea. Plus live insects. I have some geckos pickier than others and won’t touch their food if I use mango in any form (fresh, powdered or baby food) so I’ve pretty much stopped using that one flavor altogether.
The weight gain and growth has improved greatly on all the geckos (not just chahoua) in comparison to other similar aged geckos only being fed Pangea and live. I think that’s Partially in part to the higher protein content of the Homemade diet.
just my findings with my own animals, and my boyfriend’s geckos as the comparison group.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
I was trying to find Mixhael’s original post of homemade vs premade diets but I couldn’t find it. Around the end of March this year, I started adding homemade diet into the food rotation using the Chahoua Chamber diet posted on their Facebook page (thank you, Michael!). The first two feeding responses were terrible—nobody ate it. After discussion with a couple of other breeders who use a similar recipe, there were some ingredient modifications and different fruits instead of the baby food. The tweaked diet resulted in better feeding responses, with at least 50% of the cups mostly eaten.
Now my diet rotation includes homemade diet and Chewie fettucini mixed with Pangea. Plus live insects. I have some geckos pickier than others and won’t touch their food if I use mango in any form (fresh, powdered or baby food) so I’ve pretty much stopped using that one flavor altogether.
The weight gain and growth has improved greatly on all the geckos (not just chahoua) in comparison to other similar aged geckos only being fed Pangea and live. I think that’s Partially in part to the higher protein content of the Homemade diet.
just my findings with my own animals, and my boyfriend’s geckos as the comparison group.

Sweet - thanks for sharing! Out of curiosity, what ingredients did you add or change? :)