Egg incubation time

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
83!? I thought LAC said a while back that past 82 they started having a bunch of eggs die?

Sorry, just catching up on old threads and saw this. I've been incubating at these temps for 3-4 years now, and actually have had great success. This Exo-Terra incubator is better at maintaining a range than a specific temp, so sometimes they are as high as 85F. Never had an issue.

Did you ever watch Allen Repashy's Gecko Symposium talk a few years ago in Daytona? He talks about keeping most of his New Caledonian species at, I think, 86F. Seems to have worked for him...

Dragonborn Exotics (Ryan)

Chahoua Hatchling
Sorry, just catching up on old threads and saw this. I've been incubating at these temps for 3-4 years now, and actually have had great success. This Exo-Terra incubator is better at maintaining a range than a specific temp, so sometimes they are as high as 85F. Never had an issue.

Did you ever watch Allen Repashy's Gecko Symposium talk a few years ago in Daytona? He talks about keeping most of his New Caledonian species at, I think, 86F. Seems to have worked for him...
That is a great video! Does anyone know where to find it? It has tons of great information. It would be nice to watch again.

Chahoua Hatchling
Holy moly you're growing monsters over there! I have also heard that higher temps, shorter incubation times leads to smaller, less vigorous babies. Apparently thats not true either!
That is an interesting theory to me. I would like to see some solid data behind that. I think the initial size of the egg laid and genetics/health of the female has more to do with hatch size, no matter what the incubation temp. For example, if the egg is smaller because it's the female's first clutch, or she is crashing and not getting the nutrients she needs and it is incubated at 84 degrees, it may end up hatching smaller just because of all the reasons I listed above. That's my though.

What seems more logical to me is incubation time has little effect on the size of the hatchling past a certain number of days. If you introduce more heat, the baby will grow faster, that means it will also hatch faster. Less heat, and the baby will grow slower and take longer to hatch. There is some trigger that makes the baby hatch, and I think that the trigger is on a cellular level, they feel like they are at the size they are destined to be (to a certain extent). Their is a signal to the body telling it begin its life outside the calcified prison. Heat increases metabolism. I am attaching a screenshot of a Google search on "how temperature affects cell growth". Feel free to look into it and come up with your own opinion. :) I think there might be a sweet spot for incubating all species, there are also temps out of that "Goldylocks Zone" where they can do damage to the cells and growth of the baby, even if its just a few degrees. So maybe at these certain high temps the babies do not reach their full potential because of heat affecting how the cells are growing and the cells are damaged/stunted somehow. That is what I interpret from the last part of the sentence from the google search image I posted.

Sorry for the nerdy rant :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-07-18-52-31~2.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-07-18-52-31~2.png
    441.4 KB · Views: 3

MelissaSR

Moderator & mad scientist
Staff member
@Dragonborn Exotics (Ryan) that theory is nestled in the crested community, which does ring true. High temps drastically decrease the size of the animals. If I can find the picture I will show you the difference in size (sadly I didn't weigh them) between 20 difference in incubation time.

MelissaSR

Staff member
Found it! The baby on the left only incubated around 55-58 days, the one on the left went around 75-80 days. I had a heat spike in the closet I had the eggs in and had not noticed it. I have since switched to an incubator because I was so gutted over the small hatchlings. I know I did weight a different premature hatchling and it was 1.2g, my average crested hatchling is around 2.2-2.5g so they are around half of the weight when just 20 days less incubation time.

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
I first learned of that talking to Steve Camelli back in the day and that may have been in reference to leachianus, I dont remember. It could very well be a carryover though and since we've only just recently begun treating the new caledonia geckos as individuals instead of lumping their care together, it very well could be false.

Chahoua Hatchling
Found it! The baby on the left only incubated around 55-58 days, the one on the left went around 75-80 days. I had a heat spike in the closet I had the eggs in and had not noticed it. I have since switched to an incubator because I was so gutted over the small hatchlings. I know I did weight a different premature hatchling and it was 1.2g, my average crested hatchling is around 2.2-2.5g so they are around half of the weight when just 20 days less incubation time.
View attachment 170
This is interesting. Was the size of the egg of the smaller baby that hatched any smaller than the size of the other eggs before incubating? Or were the eggs the same size?

Chahoua Hatchling
I first learned of that talking to Steve Camelli back in the day and that may have been in reference to leachianus, I dont remember. It could very well be a carryover though and since we've only just recently begun treating the new caledonia geckos as individuals instead of lumping their care together, it very well could be false.
Steve was saying there is a correlation between shorter incubation times and smaller hatchlings in leachianus?

MelissaSR

Staff member
I have another thread going on the forum as I am making a chart for people who give me their data so we can see if there is any correlation between incubation period to hatchling size. So this is where if everyone chips in their information, it would be a great benefit for the community to know if X amount of days incubating impacts size.

This is interesting. Was the size of the egg of the smaller baby that hatched any smaller than the size of the other eggs before incubating? Or were the eggs the same size?
Both eggs were approximately the same size at hatching even though the one baby was clearly smaller. I don't recall if the premature hatchling was a smaller egg or not. Normally I don't see much of a difference in egg size between the eggs.

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
Yes, there was a correlation between shorter incubation times and smaller babies. Ill post my data so far to the other thread!