Extra horny 9 year old male chahoua

ajansen

Chahoua Egg
Has anybody had a male chahoua become enamored with them or literally so horny that he can't contain himself?

I have an ~9 year old male chahoua that sits on my computer while I work and is out of his cage for approximately 6 hours every day (loves it, he waits at the front of his terrarium every morning to get to sit on the monitor where he happily falls asleep for the day). Recently, he has started moving around the desk and literally stalking me. When I look at him, he stares me down and starts to do his mating rumba and then stalk either my hand, arm, or leg. Once he gets close enough, he latches on and attempts to copulate. I remove him, scold him in gecko, and then put him back in his terrarium to think about his actions.

Does anybody have any recommendations? I have tried showing him pictures of female chahoua but he is disinterested; I tried male too and no difference. I don't want to get him an actual mate because I'm not interested in breeding.

He's never been aggressive before and has been handled since he was a hatchling. I do have a female crested gecko in the same room as him (different terrarium) but she prefers to not be handled so I leave her be. Is it possible that she is in gecko heat and is releasing pheromones that he is picking up on? Her terrarium has been adjacent to his for the last 5 years with no previous issues; however, her terrarium is now on the other side of the room to avoid his peeping tommery.

Would you suggest I just leave him be for a few days and see if he calms down, do I get him a plastic gecko to keep him "company"? Any (most) suggestions are welcome.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
First of all, LOL. Thank for for sharing... this story gave me a chuckle.

Do you have any female geckos as well, even if they are another species? Cresteds, Saras, Leachianus?

It seems like he is picking up the scent of a female from somewhere, so I'm curious where it might be coming from...

ajansen

Chahoua Egg
I think I finally figured out the issue. I had moved him away from his girlfriend (female crested) because he was spending TONNES of time and energy just watching and following her from his terrarium. Well, it turns out he was making a statement about his newfound long-distance relationship and acting out. I've since moved his terrarium back adjacent to hers and he's completely changed his attitude. What a guy.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
I think I finally figured out the issue. I had moved him away from his girlfriend (female crested) because he was spending TONNES of time and energy just watching and following her from his terrarium. Well, it turns out he was making a statement about his newfound long-distance relationship and acting out. I've since moved his terrarium back adjacent to hers and he's completely changed his attitude. What a guy.

This is great! I'm glad he..... settled down?

Haha.