Gut loading insects

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
What are your gut loading regiments? What ratio of dusted/undusted insects do you use? Do you alternate dusting with calcium and a multivitamin? Tell me about your supplementation practices please.

Ill start: I only feed my chahouas twice/week- once a smoothie, and once crickets. Babies and leachies get smoothie twice/week, so what I do is get my crickets and feed them the leftover smoothie that the babies and leachies get for 24 hours. Then I dust the crickets with calcium, every third batch gets a multivitamin instead and dole them out to the geckos.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
My crew gets food every second or third night, generally alternating between fruit and crickets. I dust my crickets with Miner-All for every feeding.

For gut load, I use everything from fresh fruit and veggies to old Pangea. I also offer a number of the dry cricket foods. If I am feeding an old fruit diet, I usually mix it up with water and sprinkle it around the cricket enclosure. They LOVE that. If I put it in a bowl, they sink in it and die.

For fresh veggies/fruits: carrots, potatoes, strawberries, blue berries, banana, spinach...

My (exotics) vet once told me that 80% of the cases where he sees sick geckos or lizards are due to long term impacts from poor supplementation, and in his opinion, people who don't gutload their insects. I've never seen a person more passionate about gut loading than he is!

Gray Sky Exotics

Chahoua Hatchling
I feed every 3rd night, refills as needed inbetween, & offer dusted crickets 1-2x week to those who want them. Gutload with carrots, apples, pears, left over Pangea, & any diet brand the geckos refused to eat (nothing goes to waste).

MelissaSR

Moderator & mad scientist
Staff member
Pangea every 3 days, insects 3x a week.

My insects get a custom made dry food I make. They also get Pangea, fresh greens, melon rines if I have melon, broccoli stems, carrots, various fruits that are too ripe for anyone to want to eat.

Canvas_geckos

Chahoua Hatchling
I gutload my insects with a grain based diet (ground flax, oatmeal and calcium) with the calcium water gel stuff, as well as leftover gecko smoothie. With the exception of the Leapin Leachie brand. That one for some reason I notice molds very quickly, and mold can be detrimental to a roach colony.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
Does anyone use Repashy Bug Burger anymore? I found an old jar and mixed it up last night, but left it in the fridge.