Hatchling size

MelissaSR

Moderator & mad scientist
Staff member
I know some of you guys don’t weigh your babies when they hatch...yeah I am talking to you two lol! But I am curious of hatchling weight to incubation length. I haven’t had any hatch yet this year, so I am going to try and chart for my own curiosity the weight to incubation time. With cresteds there is a big difference in over all size and structure even in animals just 20 days apart.

If you have already had hatchlings this year, can you tell me how many days it incubated, how much it weighed, and why not throw in the temp you incubate at. Thanks!

And here is a throwback picture to the first two chahouas I ever produced

Attachments

• 296F5BF5-B096-4DE3-B8FB-B2665BE98548.jpeg
    296F5BF5-B096-4DE3-B8FB-B2665BE98548.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 11

Dragonborn Exotics (Ryan)

Chahoua Hatchling
This isn't chahoua related but I will share anyways, a friend of mine who hatches lots of leachies every year told me he rarely sees any change in weight depending on incubation time. He has 2 incubators. One that is around 79-80 degrees for hatching males and the other around room temp for females. He told me he has leachies that hatch in under 3 months that weigh 11 grams and leachies that hatch in 5 months that weigh 11 grams.

I have some chahoua hatching soon so I will add my information when they do.

MelissaSR

Moderator & mad scientist
Staff member
This isn't chahoua related but I will share anyways, a friend of mine who hatches lots of leachies every year told me he rarely sees any change in weight depending on incubation time. He has 2 incubators. One that is around 79-80 degrees for hatching males and the other around room temp for females. He told me he has leachies that hatch in under 3 months that weigh 11 grams and leachies that hatch in 5 months that weigh 11 grams.

I have some chahoua hatching soon so I will add my information when they do.
I am trying to see if there is a cut off time. Like is there a significant difference between 85 days and 100 days? Is there a difference between 85 and 120 days? Most of mine in previous years hatch at 4-4g+, however mine were all around 150 days incubating. I am trying them at a higher temp this year so I am curious to see if I will notice a difference in size, or if my pairs just produce big babies.

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
Thats very curious to me, I feel like a lot of my chahoua girls are pretty large, but most of my babies have been between 3-3.5g except for Ember who has huge babies, but lays leachie sized eggs.

Gray Sky Exotics

Chahoua Hatchling
Mainland - babe #1 & 2
Incubation: 117 days
Temp: 27-28’C
Hatch weight: 3.8g & 3.7g

Mainland - babe #3 & 4
Incubation: 106 days & 107 days
Temp: 26-27’C
Hatch weight: 3.2g & 3.3g

Last edited: