How to establish boundaries as a breeder without being a jerk

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
Ok, so this is a rant about frustrating things that potential buyers do, while also trying to come to reasonable solutions. I get people ALL the time that message me saying they are "interested" in a specific gecko and then ask me 5000 questions. This morning, a guy was interested in 2 different babies from different pairings and couldn't make up his mind. He wanted me to double check for pores, get updated weights, confirm hatch dates, get weights on parents, I spent literally an hour answering his questions. He then asked me to take a picture of the two babies to compare side by side, to which I told him I had already had both geckos out twice this morning to answer his questions and I didn't want to stress them out even more with another photoshoot when the photos provided were taken on the same day, same light, same piece of cork bark etc. Then he asked what the lowest ill take was, and shot me an offer $300 below what it was listed at. I told him I would accept the offer on the one that I was not sure on gender on, but not the one that was for sure a male because its my last available male and I get people looking for males all the time. THEN this man has the audacity to tell me he will get back to me in a few days if he wants it.

What do you do as a breeder to set boundaries on your time while also making yourself available for questions? As a buyer, I absolutely hate when breeders won't take time to answer my questions. I don't want to turn into that person- but I also don't want to repeat information to people who aren't interested enough to read what is posted already.

Rufus

Chahoua Hatchling
Hmmmm I suppose it doesn't matter what you're selling at some point you have to deal with these annoying things called humans! I've not sold reptiles but I have worked as a sales executive in the food industry (chefs and food production companies are very fussy!). You just have to balance requests and if they are too much or unreasonable, politely refuse them and say why. Also learn from the experience of what people want to know and give information up front, so you aren't answering endless questions. I am guessing that keeping and selling reptiles is a hobby and not your full time job - might be worth pointing it out if someone gets too demanding. Besides, you will always find a buyer you can work with ;) Personally I don't like messing people around, I always I treat people like I would want to be treated.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
Out of curiosity, what species was this for - chahoua? Your thread is spot on and reminds me of the days when I kept cresteds and some other species. I'm not sure what or why, but I haven't had as many window shoppers with chahoua over the years.

I can usually sort out the folks who aren't serious pretty quickly, but it's been a few years since I had one of those. @MelissaSR just re-shared something on facebook about the common personalities who buy geckos, what they say, and what it really means. It was so true... text below:

Gecko selling translation guide:

I'm interested...... Actually means: I wish I could buy it. But I won't.

Do you have more pictures/fired down pictures........ Actually means: I'd like to waste your time with more photos an info before I never buy anything

I want it, can you hold it for me......... actually means: can you hold it for 2 weeks to a month and then I won't show up/reply to you to buy anyway.

Where are you located........ Actually means: I'm not buying. You don't live within 10 miles of my house.

I need to ask my spouse....... Actually means: I've never discussed it with my spouse, so I'm going to waste your time before I try to get approval. (Which never happens)

Is it good with kids........ Actually means: my kids are brats that I can't control myself but I'm going to turn them loose on this little animal.

Send me a PM........ Actually means: I don’t want to go out of my way to message you as I am truly not all that interested in buying it.

Can I just feed it CGD........ Actually means: I never intend to buy it any sort of feeder insects

Can I keep more than one together........ Actually means: I’m not going to take your advice on QT practices and intend to house them together anyways

Can you do any better on the price........ Actually means: I only have $100 to spend including shipping but I want an animal worth $300

I really like this one, I will be back to get it (phrase said at shows)........ Actually means: I am going to walk around the show and see if I can manage to find a cheaper gecko at a different table

Can I be added to the waiting list....... Actually means: In 4+ months you contact them when geckos are ready to go and they never purchase

What do you think of your gecko for sale and my gecko together as a pair..... Actually means: be prepared for 20 questions on will other breeders geckos pair up nicely to theirs, and they never buy your gecko

When I list animals for sale on fb, they generally sold within 3-5 minutes, so if someone ever thought "Oh, let me see if I can get this guy down on price," they usually lost out because there were other folks in line with paypal locked and loaded. I also post a link to my Terms of Sale with ads and I'm not sure if people actually read it, but it should answer pretty much all questions about payment plans, shipping, responsibility, etc.

I haven't sold animals under the new FB ban, so I guess all of that is about to change...

Last edited:

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
It was about leachies, which there are more breeders of in general. Another incident this week was someone that expressed interest a while back, and then bought from someone else because it was cheaper. It arrived with health issues and instead of contacting the person they got it from, they reached out to me for help. And while I dont mind someone who genuinely needs help (because the animal deserves good care regardless of the circumstances) I dont know why on earth you wouldn't reach out to the person you purchased from first.

MelissaSR

Moderator & mad scientist
Staff member
In this case what I would do if you offered a discount then they indicate well they will let you know in a few days, tell them this. The discount that you offered is only available until X time. This way a week down the road they don’t come back sniffing around at buying it when you could have someone interested at full price. I also remind them that the animal will not be held for them without a deposit so if you give them 24 hours to decide, if someone else comes along it will be sold to them.

As far as demanding people, I often find those demanding people are tire kickers. If I have adequate recent pics, I do not take the time to try and take top quality pictures again, the most they get are cellphone pics. I will weigh an animal at request however I won’t go out and weigh each and every animal that they want. Simply indicate that it is the breeding season and you try to not mess with your breeds during this time, and just simply give them an estimated weight.