What are some of your other hobbies (aside from reptiles)?

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
I know we're an eclectic bunch here, so I'd love to know what everyone does in their free time ASIDE from reptiles.
  • I have three dogs who eat up a lot of my time. I treat and feed them like family (raw, human-grade food).
  • I also love to hike, fish and be outdoors. Gardening and taking care of my yard falls into that somewhat.
  • Also a big car buff, and always have been.
  • Last but not least... food. Love cooking and going out to eat, and I've become a pretty decent chef these days.
How about you guys?

MelissaSR

Moderator & mad scientist
Staff member
I have 3 dogs and a cat who are on partial raw so I feel your pain!

In the warm months we go fishing all the time, and whats great now is that we have a lab now who loves to go swimming, all 3 dogs now partake in swimming. But its so much fun to take the lab out, toss him decoys and he swim out to go get them. One of the greatest pleasures is watching a dog bred to do a job do their job and see how much they love it. Funny enough our pointer will swim out with him, touch the decoys and swim back while the lab grabs it and swims it back. Our smallest dog, a mini schnauzer tries to swim with the big dog but we always call him back, I worry he will get tired! But I got side tracked! We love to fish for pan fish, and we take the dogs with us normally when we fish, which is how I went off on that tangent lol.

The boyfriend is an avid hunter, I can't bring myself to kill an animal (but I do fish as I had mentioned) but I enjoy going out with him scouting areas when he preps for deer season. One thing we enjoy doing together is mushroom hunting, I enjoy doing it alone also. But you see so many things you would have never noticed before until you really start to focus for little fungi on the ground

Sarah_RainyDay

Chahoua Egg
I'm a game artist as a day job; although I don't think that qualifies as a hobby, it was a goal of mine for a long time to get into this field and I've been able to stay in it, so that's cool. In my spare time I particularly used to love drawing monsters and creatures, but I haven't done as much of that lately.

I've recently gotten into makeup/facepainting/body painting. Again, I have had less time than I would like lately to devote time to this. I need to sell some darn geckos so I'm not up late every night doing that instead. XD My Instagram for that is here if anyone's curious! www.instagram.com/SerpentsAndMakeup

I also like cooperative writing/tabletops, board games, novels and other such nerdy pursuits. Love going on walks.

Gray Sky Exotics

Chahoua Hatchling
I have 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks that keep me pretty busy. I also enjoy reading, painting, gardening, fly fishing, cooking/baking & hitting the gym. Seems I have a bird sanctuary at our new house; lots of robins, chickadees & hummingbirds hatching out their young around our home on the decks, eaves, window ledges, electrical box & surrounding trees.

MelissaSR

Moderator & mad scientist
Staff member
I've recently gotten into makeup/facepainting/body painting. Again, I have had less time than I would like lately to devote time to this. I need to sell some darn geckos so I'm not up late every night doing that instead. XD My Instagram for that is here if anyone's curious! www.instagram.com/SerpentsAndMakeup

I love when you post your make-up stuff, you do such a great job! Love it when Rick lets you paint him up too!

Canvas_geckos

Chahoua Hatchling
My main hobby aside from geckos, is wild foraging. I am a board member of the Mycological Association of Washington DC (MAWDC), and I spend about 98% of my free time in the woods photographing and identifying fungi.

Attachments

• 23875CE2-295E-48D2-A0C3-D3B8E330ABEF.jpeg
    23875CE2-295E-48D2-A0C3-D3B8E330ABEF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 097CC041-BC78-4D25-8901-01579A46E3B8.jpeg
    097CC041-BC78-4D25-8901-01579A46E3B8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • D30FA6A7-C63A-4DEE-863D-9558BBE21515.jpeg
    D30FA6A7-C63A-4DEE-863D-9558BBE21515.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 3FA3A6A0-8576-41DA-A392-19ED6EB1897D.jpeg
    3FA3A6A0-8576-41DA-A392-19ED6EB1897D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 0388BA33-E1ED-4574-8744-D08F4C5B120B.jpeg
    0388BA33-E1ED-4574-8744-D08F4C5B120B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 561B0F0A-6FD1-4C40-B665-E5774ECB219C.jpeg
    561B0F0A-6FD1-4C40-B665-E5774ECB219C.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • 02BE94DD-5035-47F6-AB2D-0239C26E3A7A.jpeg
    02BE94DD-5035-47F6-AB2D-0239C26E3A7A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
I have 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks that keep me pretty busy. I also enjoy reading, painting, gardening, fly fishing, cooking/baking & hitting the gym. Seems I have a bird sanctuary at our new house; lots of robins, chickadees & hummingbirds hatching out their young around our home on the decks, eaves, window ledges, electrical box & surrounding trees.

I've always loved following your pup updates on FB over the years. They're gorgeous! Rhodesians were always one of my favorite breeds.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
My main hobby aside from geckos, is wild foraging. I am a board member of the Mycological Association of Washington DC (MAWDC), and I spend about 98% of my free time in the woods photographing and identifying fungi.

I have to say that I am *loving* all of your fb foraging updates. SO COOL! The mushroom recipes made me crave a portobello risotto my mom used to make but that I haven't had in years :)

TroysGeckos

Chahoua Hatchling
Great topic @MichaelMDG!
For me, my hobbies/interests, in addition to geckos/reptiles of course, include:

- Cars (generally high end, European automobiles)
- Real Estate investing, designing, renovating, etc.
- Watch collecting
- Dogs, who are also close members of our family!

Rufus

Chahoua Hatchling
Hummingbirds!!! Awesome!

Just for fun

Chahoua Egg
My main hobby are my two teenage girls!! They love to play card games, we try to learn a new one every week! We play all the old classics as well like Canasta, bridge, poker etc. it is so much fun and usually my parents join in!

We also love to take our mini-poodle on walks. In the summer we swim everyday at local lakes & state parks. In the winter we go sledding as much as possible. Me personally I love to cook/bake, I try one new food item every week(usually)😉

Last edited: