What Caging Do You Use?

What caging do you use for your Chahoua?

• Acrylic Caging

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Aquariums

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Exo-Terras

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Plastic Bins

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • PVC Enclosure

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • ZooMed Tanks

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

RheingauGeckos

Chahoua Egg
Hey I am from Germany and i have 3 Pairs i keep in little bit Different sizes but all near the same volume. Was only becouse of the place i had free.
one is 60width x 60deep x 120high cm
one is 90width x 50deep x 90high cm
one is 60width x 40deep x 150high cm

Andrea IGA

Chahoua Hatchling
I personally used every kind of cages. Everything customized , from wooden,to glass for adults, and plastic-racks for babies/juvies.

Now, I am finding myself really good with 40x40x40 & 60x40x40 (cm) glass CREAS cages. with heat and light on top. I use them for singles or pairs.

Bioactive soil with Trichorhina sp. & live plants. branches and corcks for basking/hiding points.

Attachments

• wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 23

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
I personally used every kind of cages. Everything customized , from wooden,to glass for adults, and plastic-racks for babies/juvies.

Now, I am finding myself really good with 40x40x40 & 60x40x40 (cm) glass CREAS cages. with heat and light on top. I use them for singles or pairs.

Bioactive soil with Trichorhina sp. & live plants. branches and corcks for basking/hiding points.

I love your setups! Really, really nice, my friend! (y)

Canvas_geckos

Chahoua Hatchling
I have mine in tubs temporarily, as I had ordered all new custom PVC enclosures. I finally got the email they’re getting shipped out next week. I’ll be happy to be moving them out of the tubs and get their UVB set up properly.

Canvas_geckos

Chahoua Hatchling
Finally got my PVC enclosures in today. I set up Eve first. Will add lights/UVB tomorrow. She seems to appreciate her new digs 🥰

Attachments

• 6A846FC2-EBA4-4BAA-8470-85839DB06973.jpeg
    6A846FC2-EBA4-4BAA-8470-85839DB06973.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 537EB594-A6A5-403B-9ADE-8AA3D2FBEA4E.jpeg
    537EB594-A6A5-403B-9ADE-8AA3D2FBEA4E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

StikyPaws

Chahoua Egg
I have mine currently in exo-terras, a large/tall (36"x18"x24") and a young chahoua in the small/wide (18"x18"x18") Both are bioactive setups with UVB for shade dwellers, attached is a picture of my smaller enclosure and here is a video to my larger enclosure:

Small chahoua enclosure.jpg

I used to have my chahouas in 29 gal tall tanks placed on their sides and I made half screen half plexi hinged front "doors" for them. I also had smaller tub setups for hatchlings back in the day but I haven't bred any in almost 10 years so I'm sure the setups have gotten a bit more advanced, lol.

Frogmom

Chahoua Egg
IKEA actually has some options with their display cases. I used a long one for gargs I got for 5 bucks at a garage sale. It worked great ! I had thought of using a tall one I had for chahoua or leach , but then I sold it. I have seen photos of others using that one.

Canvas_geckos

Chahoua Hatchling
For those of you whom have PVC- did you get the ones with screens on top or vents on the back? I’m about to upgrade and am trying to decide which is better. I currently have the screen on top options.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
@Canvas_geckos asking the questions that are on my mind too :)

I would love to hear from more folks who use the PVC enclosures, like @Jkdaniels15 ... just about your general experience.

I've been mulling a switch from glass tanks and Exo-Terras over to PVC for the sake of efficiency, but it's not a cheap investment, and I'm a bit hesitant to make a switch like that in the middle of the season.

Humidity? Cleaning? What substrates do you guys use? Any changes observed in the geckos?

Jkdaniels15

Chahoua Egg
@Canvas_geckos asking the questions that are on my mind too :)

I would love to hear from more folks who use the PVC enclosures, like @Jkdaniels15 ... just about your general experience.

I've been mulling a switch from glass tanks and Exo-Terras over to PVC for the sake of efficiency, but it's not a cheap investment, and I'm a bit hesitant to make a switch like that in the middle of the season.

Humidity? Cleaning? What substrates do you guys use? Any changes observed in the geckos?
I have a few from DW Geckos & Terraria. Very good enclosures, only downside is they are a bit fragile due to it the pvc. I’m able to keep humidity up really good with a misting in the morning and evening. I use paper towels now, but currently in the process of adding substrate and springtails. Should keep humidity more consistent. Will definitely purchase more in the future. However, I will order custom enclosures with additional windows to allow more light through to assist in a more natural circadian rhythm. The front and top are the only areas where light comes in so the enclosures a bit dark. I have natural lighting with uvb from a Zoo Med fixture. All in all, I’m happy with them.

LornaRedSky

Chahoua Egg
I've used everything over the years, including rack systems with plastic tubs and rack systems with PVC with built-in lights and vents and plexiglass doors. One nice thing about downsizing is that I'm switching over to all glass, Exo and Zoo Med. I don't have a preference between the two. But the newer Zoo Meds did come with the screen top already fitted with removable plastic so I did not have to cut any plexiglass to fit. That was nice. I'm not convinced that the animals have a preference for any of the materials, as long as they have good hides, room to jump around, and places to dig they seem to be content. My room stays at 50% humidity so PVC and plastic have to be very thoroughly cross-ventilated or they will hold the humidity too well and cause issues. On the other hand, I use KK's for babies and have to stay on top of those or they will dry out. The best thing I ever did was put oversized water dishes in everyone's cages. I have to clean them out every time I feed but the humidity stays constant and the animals all shed better after a nice soak. *Although to be fair, Chahouas in general do not seem to have the shedding issues that Crested Geckos have and are a hardier species overall.

Last edited: