What fruit diet are you currently feeding your chahoua?

What diet are you currently feeding your chahoua?

• Big Fat Geckos Diet

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Black Panther Zoological Diet

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Clark's Gecko Diet

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I make my own!

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Leapin' Leachies Chewie Fettuccine

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Pangea Diet (Note which variation below)

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • Repashy (Note which variation below)

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
It's a subject that's been discussed much over the years... and one that seems to change season to season: what fruit diet are you feeding your geckos right now?

I'm still feeding my proprietary diet as well as various types of Pangea. What about everyone else? This is an open poll, so if you don't see your food option, please feel free to add it!

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
I'm also sure there are new diets I've missed. Post those below and I'll add them to the voting!

MelissaSR

Moderator & mad scientist
Staff member
I make up my own mix, and also use Pangea. I offer both at the same time. I find there are some days they prefer the homemade mix, and other days they prefer the Pangea.

Darnell05

Chahoua Egg
I typically use Pangea, but whatever i feed I bulk it up with Minerall for the adults. Especially in the fall before breeding season and throughout.

Corie@26

Chahoua Egg
While I haven’t made my own yet I’ve used or have mixed all Pangea diets, an recently have went back to repashy diets an have added them in .

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
I rotate through most of the flavors, but I add fresh fruits to every batch. I only feed my adult chahouas the fruit diet about once every 5 days or so this year but I gut load all their crickets with it, and I feed them dusted crickets as much as they want. Last year I fed a lot more diet and a lot less bugs and my girls didnt look as good and my eggs were dismal, this year they are doing amazing.

Darnell05

Chahoua Egg
I rotate through most of the flavors, but I add fresh fruits to every batch. I only feed my adult chahouas the fruit diet about once every 5 days or so this year but I gut load all their crickets with it, and I feed them dusted crickets as much as they want. Last year I fed a lot more diet and a lot less bugs and my girls didnt look as good and my eggs were dismal, this year they are doing amazing.
seriously good insight on this one. Do you recall literature speaking about GTPs and how in captivity people had them obese, and being skinnier and leaner was healthier for them? I wonder if the same is true, leaner doesn't necessarily mean bad.

KatieBKMG

Chahoua Egg
We feed different Pangea diets every three days or so and bugs three or four times per week. Essentially as many gut loaded bugs as our two want.

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
seriously good insight on this one. Do you recall literature speaking about GTPs and how in captivity people had them obese, and being skinnier and leaner was healthier for them? I wonder if the same is true, leaner doesn't necessarily mean bad.

My girls aren't larger or smaller on average than last year, they definitely get a bit chubby with eggs but they drop it when they lay. They don't seem skinny after eggs though, and last year they looked like crap after a clutch. Last year I also fed primarily roaches from bowls instead of crickets and I seriously wonder if the exercise from hunting helps them maintain better body mass/fat ratios. I only got 1 good egg last year out of 8 eggs total, and while I just had my first hatchling this week my eggs are, on average, about 30% larger than last year with better structure/appearances overall. It turns out that anal retentive note taking and spreadsheets are good for something :)

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
my group can be finicky as all hell with diets.
I don't have the same issue- mine will eat pretty much whatever I put in front of them. I wonder if that's because I rotate so many fruits/flavors or if it could be because i offer slurry much less frequently? Or perhaps they got used to the flavors because they squish the crickets in their mouths and the crickets are stuffed with slurry? Even that girl I got that I was told "would only eat crickets" will now eat anything I put in front of her.