Which calcium supplement(s) do you use?

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
I've tried probably every one in existence over the years, but ultimately settled on Miner-All after a recommendation from Phil Tremper and after seeing great results in my breeding females. I've seen some others use Rep-Cal and some of the Repashy varieties, so I'm curious to know which ones you guys use, and what your success has been.

My crew gets their crickets dusted with Ca and I also mix it into their fruit diet. One nice thing about the Miner-All is that it comes in a berry flavor that at least smells nice... but I haven't tasted it 😂

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
I use Miner-All as well for dusting crickets but for mixing with fruit diets I use Calcium Gluconate 23%. Its a liquid that is typically used as an injectable but I weighed out my entire collection and calculated the appropriate amount to add to a batch of food. I also will mix it in fruit juice (like those mango nectars) in an emergency if a girl looks bad after dropping eggs but I haven't needed to do that since switching to primarily insects. A lot of my girls are already 2-3 clutches into the year though so I may be using that by the end of the season.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
I use Miner-All as well for dusting crickets but for mixing with fruit diets I use Calcium Gluconate 23%. Its a liquid that is typically used as an injectable but I weighed out my entire collection and calculated the appropriate amount to add to a batch of food. I also will mix it in fruit juice (like those mango nectars) in an emergency if a girl looks bad after dropping eggs but I haven't needed to do that since switching to primarily insects. A lot of my girls are already 2-3 clutches into the year though so I may be using that by the end of the season.

Dang. Where do you get that? And how do you measure it?

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
I got a big quart bottle from a vet supply store, it's meant as an injectable so it has one of those rubber caps that you use a needle through and I measure in CCs. I got the calculation and recommendation from a vet though, and for my whole collection a weekly dose is only 1/2cc and that's including my fatty leachies.

Canvas_geckos

Chahoua Hatchling
Are you guys following that Miner-all is now owned by Backwater reptiles (ugh)? TracyPD posted a recent issue with them shipping bulk supplements in dirty totes.

Corey

Chahoua Egg
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, I read you often but it's the first time I write.

I generally use the repashy supercal MeD or the classic zoomed supplement, but this year, intrigued by your comments, I would like to try the Miner-All, probably the indoor one.
Reading the label I saw that they recommend mixing it with 1: 1 ratio of pure carbonate. I was curious to know how you use it, whether pure or mixed, how many times a week and how much you put in classic ready-made diets (such as pangea or LL).

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

Last edited:

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
I would be very curious to see the new labels, because my old jars (I have a case) don't have that on the label. If you read the comment above yours though, you'll see that they recently changed owners. They have likely changed formulas and depending on what the new formula looks like a lot of us will probably be looking for new supplements. Personally, I am not interested in a supplement for my precious geckos that is changing the formula and quality of a product while riding off the brand name/recognition of the older high quality formula.

Corey

Chahoua Egg
I would be very curious to see the new labels, because my old jars (I have a case) don't have that on the label. If you read the comment above yours though, you'll see that they recently changed owners. They have likely changed formulas and depending on what the new formula looks like a lot of us will probably be looking for new supplements. Personally, I am not interested in a supplement for my precious geckos that is changing the formula and quality of a product while riding off the brand name/recognition of the older high quality formula.

Thanks a lot for the answer.

I saw in the post above that they changed owners.
I did some quick research and I can't find a clear comparison between the new label and the old one.
On the site where I bought the product, in the instructions for use, it is clearly specified to mix the product with pure calcium, to avoid overdose, and the product sold still has the Sticky tongue packaging.
On the labels of the product still marked sticky tongue farm that I have seen on the internet and on the the sticky tongue's site I do not see written to take this precaution.

In any case, on every label I see it seems to me that the recipe is the same, with the same amount of vitamin D and the other ingredients.

I would be curious to see the labels of your products, if possible and if they are prior to the change of ownership, and possibly to compare them with the product I purchased (which should have arrived today, but they messed up the mail and a package arrived with spare tubes for a car .....LOL ).

I leave you the link of the site where I purchased the supplement and the link of the sticky tongue site for clarity.

- https://www.hobbyreptiles.com/fr/vitamines-et-mineraux/276-miner-all-indoor.html

- https://www.stickytonguefarms.com/collections/frontpage/products/miner-all-indoor

Thanks again and sorry for the length of the post.

A small EDIT: in my previous post I mentioned a double amount of vitamin D, but I was wrong. On miner-all it is reported in IU / kg but in many other products in IU / lb, so I did the calculations wrong.
Apparently the amount of vitamin D is also lesser than others.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
Are you guys following that Miner-all is now owned by Backwater reptiles (ugh)? TracyPD posted a recent issue with them shipping bulk supplements in dirty totes.

I did see that... there's been some conversation about formula changes, so thanks to @Corey for jumping in as our guinea pig. To piggyback on @ArborealsAnonymous' that also matches my labels, and these jars are ~1yr old, so they are definitely the "same/old" formula.