Which incubator are you using ?

Gallo24

Chahoua Egg
Which incubator are you using for Chahoua eggs ? It seems that there are a few popular incubators out there and most have terrible reviews.
What is everyone using ? What is working well? what isn't ?

MelissaSR

Moderator & mad scientist
Staff member
I have the exoterra. I had intended on getting a custom one made however the person never started it in time when they said they would so I had to quickly get one. I have had this one 3 seasons now without an issue, I however do have a backup exoterra incubator in case it ever fails (got it super cheap!)

Gallo24

Chahoua Egg
Oh okay. I've heard alot of mixed reviews on the exo terra. Glad to hear it's working well for you. I just purchased a reptipro 6000. Currently testing to see how well the temps hold over the next few days

Dragonborn Exotics (Ryan)

Chahoua Hatchling
I went the cheaper route and built my own incubator using an old mini fridge. I say it was cheaper because I had already invested in a Herpstat 2 for other reptile stuff and already had a heat mat. What I ended up doing was gutting the fridge. Taped a heat mat on the bottom and back of the inside of the fridge. Bought a small computer fan and attached it to the top of the fridge to help circulate air and blow the warm air back down. I also stacked water bottles on the bottom of the fridge to create a thermal mass to help maintain the set temp of the inside if the door is opened. I just put the probe from the herpstat 2 inside on one of the shelves, plugged the heat mat into the herpstat 2, and set the temp. I had amazing success with it last season and plan to use it for years to come. It is quite an efficient setup as well because of how the herpstat works. I will take pictures and post them in here.

Gallo24

Chahoua Egg
I went the cheaper route and built my own incubator using an old mini fridge. I say it was cheaper because I had already invested in a Herpstat 2 for other reptile stuff and already had a heat mat. What I ended up doing was gutting the fridge. Taped a heat mat on the bottom and back of the inside of the fridge. Bought a small computer fan and attached it to the top of the fridge to help circulate air and blow the warm air back down. I also stacked water bottles on the bottom of the fridge to create a thermal mass to help maintain the set temp of the inside if the door is opened. I just put the probe from the herpstat 2 inside on one of the shelves, plugged the heat mat into the herpstat 2, and set the temp. I had amazing success with it last season and plan to use it for years to come. It is quite an efficient setup as well because of how the herpstat works. I will take pictures and post them in here.

Sounds like an interesting setup. Are you running the fan constantly ? I'm thinking about building one with a raspberry pi controller as a winter project.

Frogmom

Chahoua Egg
I have never used an incubator. I just stick eggs in a yogurt container with moist hatch rite and get 100 % hatch with equal male / female chahoua. I haven’t sexed the leachianus to see the sex ratio. Been told to please incubate for male leach this year and I might just keep those a little warmer with the tiny heat mat. Maybe a light bulb. lol

Dragonborn Exotics (Ryan)

Chahoua Hatchling
Sounds like an interesting setup. Are you running the fan constantly ? I'm thinking about building one with a raspberry pi controller as a winter project.
I turn the fan off every now and then. I may run it for a few days or a week, then have it off for a few days. I guess I coukd always put it on a timer if I wanted to. That might be a good idea.

How does one use a raspberry pi as the controller? Would that be the thermostat? I am interested to see this if you make it happen.

Gallo24

Chahoua Egg
I turn the fan off every now and then. I may run it for a few days or a week, then have it off for a few days. I guess I coukd always put it on a timer if I wanted to. That might be a good idea.

How does one use a raspberry pi as the controller? Would that be the thermostat? I am interested to see this if you make it happen.

You can wire whatever you want to the control board. A lot of people run lights, heating pads, fans, humidifiers, ect. This all goes to an app, which you can modify. It is pretty simple to do. Plenty of YouTube videos out there.

Here is a simple one for growing mushrooms.