What fruit diet are you currently feeding your chahoua?

What diet are you currently feeding your chahoua?

• Big Fat Geckos Diet

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Black Panther Zoological Diet

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Clark's Gecko Diet

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I make my own!

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Leapin' Leachies Chewie Fettuccine

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Pangea Diet (Note which variation below)

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • Repashy (Note which variation below)

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters

Dragonborn Exotics (Ryan)

Chahoua Hatchling
I currently use Pangea diet for all my geckos. I have had far better feeding responses with it than Repashy. My geckos rarely ever touch the Repashy products. My go to Pangea flavors are watermelon, banana apricot, fig and insect, and sometimes the breeders blend. I should really try the papaya again, I read somewhere that papaya is good for their diet because something in the fruit is well balanced.

I would really like to make my own diet and see how they respond to that. I feel like they might enjoy the fresh fruit over a dried powder smoothie. I know a few of you make your own and have had success with it. Anybody willing to sharing recipes?

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
I currently use Pangea diet for all my geckos. I have had far better feeding responses with it than Repashy. My geckos rarely ever touch the Repashy products. My go to Pangea flavors are watermelon, banana apricot, fig and insect, and sometimes the breeders blend. I should really try the papaya again, I read somewhere that papaya is good for their diet because something in the fruit is well balanced.

I would really like to make my own diet and see how they respond to that. I feel like they might enjoy the fresh fruit over a dried powder smoothie. I know a few of you make your own and have had success with it. Anybody willing to sharing recipes?

Which repashy diet were you using? I know they have changed a lot over the years, since the CGD days. I'm a little out of the loop.

PS - here's my DIY recipe.

Chahoua Hatchling
Which repashy diet were you using? I know they have changed a lot over the years, since the CGD days. I'm a little out of the loop.

PS - here's my DIY recipe.
It's been a long time so I dont remember 100%. I believe I tried the original CGD, Grubs N' Fruit, Mulberry Madness, and the Crested Gecko MRP Classic. Non of them were well received. I think the only geckos that even tried them were the baby geckos, which makes me theorize that if raised on a certain diet from birth, that a gecko may prefer that to a new diet introduced during their sub adult to adult stage. Which is why most of my geckos raised on Pangea may not have cared for the Repashy. That's just a theory though. I did raise my first ever pet store quality gargoyle on Repashy alone and it loved it, but it got really fat really fast and it also had a wavy spine, which may or may not have been part of the diet. Could have been a combo of genetics, diet, and me being a newbie to the species.

TroysGeckos

Chahoua Hatchling
I am trying to feed a variety of diets, but generally offer a home made diet (similar to the one Michael posted years ago with some variation) as well as a mixture of Pangea flavors. Occassionally I'll rotate in some Black Panther, Repashy Classic, or Repashy Seasonal.

On a related side note, crickets are a weekly staple and I have been trying to supplement breeding females with liquid calcium this season.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
I am trying to feed a variety of diets, but generally offer a home made diet (similar to the one Michael posted years ago with some variation) as well as a mixture of Pangea flavors. Occassionally I'll rotate in some Black Panther, Repashy Classic, or Repashy Seasonal.

On a related side note, crickets are a weekly staple and I have been trying to supplement breeding females with liquid calcium this season.

How is the response on the BP diet? I've never tried it.

Has anyone tried ZooMed?

MelissaSR

Moderator & mad scientist
Staff member
Has anyone tried ZooMed?

I was part of their tester group, the chahouas didnt like their food at all, but the cresteds didn't mind the tropical fruit. Oddly enough they turned their nose up to the watermelon flavor when at the time that was the Pangea flavor being offered. For me I find my chahouas like the Pangea with banana best, however occassionally they will smash on the apricot flavor.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
I fed Pangea with insects last night, and mixed in a little mango baby food + calcium and they took to that much faster than they did the pangea diet alone.

However, they really dug into the Pangea with insects on day 2, so I'll see how their dishes look tomorrow morning and report back.

Chahoua Hatchling
I fed Pangea with insects last night, and mixed in a little mango baby food + calcium and they took to that much faster than they did the pangea diet alone.

However, they really dug into the Pangea with insects on day 2, so I'll see how their dishes look tomorrow morning and report back.
Did they seem to like it better than the fig and insects by pangea? Have you tried mixing mango baby food into that? I may test that out this week.

ArborealsAnonymous

Staff member
Just for curiosity, why are you guys using mango baby food instead of just mangos? I have never tried using baby food i just always throw some fresh fruits in.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
Did they seem to like it better than the fig and insects by pangea? Have you tried mixing mango baby food into that? I may test that out this week.

I've only fed the Fig & Insects once, but this definitely got a better feeding response off the bat. I grow fresh figs, so maybe I should try blending some of those in when they're ripe!

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
Just for curiosity, why are you guys using mango baby food instead of just mangos? I have never tried using baby food i just always throw some fresh fruits in.

I buy the Plum Organics brand because I don't have great year-round access to fresh mangos. I've also seen the looza mango nectar, but it seems to have a good bit of added water and says it's from concentrate, so I've avoided it.

Chahoua Hatchling
]
I am taking my first stab at using a homemade diet and I am trying out a couple different variations of the Modern Dinosaur Diet that Michael used/uses. For convenience sake I am using the organic baby food. Might try the fresh mangos though when I get some free time on the weekend.

Chahoua Hatchling
I've only fed the Fig & Insects once, but this definitely got a better feeding response off the bat. I grow fresh figs, so maybe I should try blending some of those in when they're ripe!

Michael, how is the consistency of the pangea with insects? Is it as runny and clumpy as the fig and insect? If not, I will probably give it a try when I order next time.

Gray Sky Exotics

Chahoua Hatchling
We current use all of the Pangea diets. Had previously alternated w/ Clark’s Fig, but haven’t been able to find it in bulk sizes. Tried several other brands, but the feeding response was way less then expected so been gutloading insects with them so it doesn’t go to waste.

Michael

The Chahoua Chamber
Staff member
We current use all of the Pangea diets. Had previously alternated w/ Clark’s Fig, but haven’t been able to find it in bulk sizes. Tried several other brands, but the feeding response was way less then expected so been gutloading insects with them so it doesn’t go to waste.

I haven't used Clark's in ages... out of curiosity, where did you get it and how did they like it? I feel like I used to get it from someone named Patrick Parapara, or something?